Monday, September 12, 2011

Shrimps


I was so happy seeing shrimps with head at one of the supermarket nearby. Usually, the shrimps here are peeled and head are out. So when I saw it, I bought some and cooked it right away at home. My husband loves seafoods a lot, so am I and my daughter Nia is loving it too.

I bought about 500 grams of it and cooked it all for our dinner. I made 2 viands of it; a Shrimp sinigang and Grilled Shrimps with Jen style marinade.

Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimp sour soup)





Here's the recipe for Sinigang na Hipon

about 10 pcs Tiger Prawns with head
Spring onions
a thumbsize ginger
1 big tomato - quartered
1 1/2 liter water
Sinigang mix (or fresh tamarinds)
string beans - cut about 2 inches
kangkong leaves (water spinach) or Pechay (chinese white cabbage)
Eggplant (cut about 1x2 inches)
1 teaspoon salt or Patis (fish sauce)

Put the water into the soup pan, let it boil, when it's boiling, add the ginger, spring onions and tomatoes. Let it boil again then add the shrimps, string beans, eegplant and sinigang mix. When the vegetables are ready (not overcooked) add the Patis/salt.

IMPORTANT: If you are using the fresh tamarinds, you have to boil it first and get the broth. Add some of it (depending on your type of sourness on the soup) I have found a link which is so helpful on getting the tamarind broth. Here is it. Getting tamarind broth.

The Recipe of the Grilled Shrimps with Jen style marinade will be in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment